Sprains And Strains
Sprains and strains: strains are caused by twisting or pulling a muscle or tendon. Sprains are caused by falling, twisting, or getting hit can force a joint out of its normal position. These injuries can cause damage to the ligament around the joint and cause it to stretch or tear. Sprains typically occur with events such as with a fall (landing on an outstretched arm), or from a fall on the side of the foot or a sudden twist to a knee. Both sprains and strains can happen suddenly or develop over time.
A sudden sprain or strain injury is caused by:
- A recent injury.
- Lifting heavy objects the wrong way
- Overstressing the muscles, tendons, or ligaments.
Chronic strains are usually caused by moving the muscles and tendons the same way over and over again.
For acute injury: (R.I.C.E)
- Rest the injured area.
- Ice the injury for 15 to 20 minutes at a time. (2-3 x/Day)
- Compress (squeeze) the injured area using a special bandage, cast or splint. (An Ace Bandage works fine)
- Elevate the injured area.
The doctor may recommend taking medicines, such as aspirin or ibuprofen to help reduce swelling and inflammation. Our Rego Park Queens physical therapists are here to help get you back up and running regardless of the cause or severity of the injury. Call today 718-866-3738.